Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Pecan Sandys: Fakes or Freaking Sweet?


I am an avid surfer of music sites, scouring endless sites searching for great new artists. In the past few months, one band has caught my eye numerous times. These fresh artists were featured in, just to name a few, MTV Summer's Eve Fresh hit list, BONGO Music Rad 12, and Everything 80's music review. The band I Speak of is the Pecan Sandys. They are touted as the 3rd or 4th best 80s cover band in America. After seeing their press photos and hearing them rock, I wanted to place them at number 2 in my book. I thought that they could someday be number one, but would have a lot of work to do to surpass The Leg Warmers of the Virginia/Maryland area. For an audio visual perception example of the Pecan Sandys imagine 'Don't Stop Believing' sung by Journey, but with Angus Young on Lead Vocals and Alf on the Drums. Since this Band so enthralled me, I had to check out their live show. If it was a good as their Internet MP3s, then they would stand a chance to Pass the Leg Warmers. I found their next gig in their hometown. It was on a Thursday night at an Island Bar in Corpus Christi, Texas. A band with so much recent publicity playing on a Thursday night seemed odd to me, but i presses on non the less. Once I got to Texas, I wanted to fit in. So I rented a truck and a driver. I sprawled out in the bed of the truck, free flowing at 65 mph. It was a great way to get ready for some good 80s jamming. I get to the bar and there are not many people there. I start thinking that I might be way ahead on the hip music curve than everyone else. Am I the only one in here excited for the show? 9 pm rolls around and no Pecan Sandys in sight. Finally, around 1015, they come rolling in, complete with Long hair wigs and snarled, yet happy faces. The MC takes the mike and says "Tina and Jasmine" to the stage. I was confused. The duo of drunk girls then began karaoke singing 'Girls Just Want to Have Fun'. So I was even more perplexed when the Sandys were called up next. They sang 'Every Rose has its Thorn' on karaoke and then quietly had a seat at a front table. I was still confused, but dang that was a good performance. Throughout the night the band waited their turn and sang another 80's rock song on the karaoke machine. This band may be a sham, but they still sing like angels and rock like demons. If I could imagine that they do more than just sing karaoke in a island bar wearing fake hair and press on tattoos, they may just be the next Dan Brown of 80s rock.




The Leg Warmers

Judge for yourself who should be number one.

http://myspace.com/pecansandys

http://legwarmers.com/


Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: